Wednesday, January 25, 2012

"This ain't no Etch-a-Sketch. This is one doodle that can't be un-did, Homeskillet!"


That's right! WE'RE HAVING A BABY!! We could NOT be more excited or feel more blessed.

After the testing from the previous post was over and we had settled in our new apartment, Brett and I decided it was time to think about having a baby. We weren't certain how long it would take for us to get pregnant, so as soon as I had secured a job we knew would provide insurance we thought we'd give it a try!

I have wanted to have a baby since I was a baby myself so when my period was late in November, I tried not to get my hopes up so I wouldn't be too disappointed if I weren't pregnant. I waited until I was 8 days late (which seemed like an eternity) and then took a pregnancy test. I hadn't mentioned anything to Brett yet, I guess because I thought if I recognized the possibility then maybe it wouldn't happen. (I realize that makes no sense. Haha!)

I took the test while he was at school, the day I was to leave to Utah for Thanksgiving. I was a mess waiting for the result. I went into the bathroom after the instructed 2 minutes and there was a VERY faint positive line. I knew that ANY positive line meant it was a positive test, but still refusing to let myself get excited, I decided I would not take that as a "You're Pregnant" and planned to take another test later.

When Brett got home that afternoon I wanted to blurt out the news, but I had already dreamed up in my head how I would tell him on our Anniversary (December 6th).

It was so wonderful being home with family that I only thought about my potential pregnancy every-other-second rather than every second! On Thanksgiving day my sister randomly walked over to me and said, "Are you pregnant?" She knew we had thought about trying and I have NEVER been good at lying so when she asked I said, "I don't know." She said, "What do you mean you don't know? That's not an anwer." I told her the situation and she insisted I go to the gas station and pick up a pregnancy test right then! I found Brett and asked him to go on a little walk with me. I wanted to be sure that Daddy would be the first to know any official pregnancy news. As soon as I told him that there was even a possibility I was pregnant he was SO excited that we hopped in the car and drove to the nearest gas station. The cashier said, "Good luck!" as Brett walked out with pregnancy test in hand!

When we got back to the condos, where we were staying, Brett and I snuck away to an empty condo. The rest of the family was gathered in another. I took the test and we again awaited the everlasting 2 minutes. Then we looked together and this time IT WAS ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE! HOORAY!! We were both so happy. (I quoted the line from the movie Juno, which is why it is the heading. ) We laughed and cried and hugged!



A few minutes later Brooke and Luke knocked on the door. They needed something from the condo. I ran over and handed the test to Luke and asked him to show it to his Mommy. He just looked at me like I was a bit crazy and handed it to her. That's when it got crazy! Brooke and I hugged and jumped around yelling "YAY!" She said, "Okay, let's go tell everyone!" I wasn't sure that I wanted to tell everyone quite yet. It was so early - only 6 weeks and I had dreamed for years about the cute way I would announce the news. Well, that all went out the window!

We walked up to the condo where everyone was hanging out and I handed my Mom a note that said "There is one more thing to be GRATEFUL for this year!" She looked at me a bit confused and then Brett handed her the positive pregnancy test! Her eyes immediately filled with tears. Eventually others in the room caught on and the news spread like wild fire among the family.

We were dying to tell Brett's family, but thought it would be a fun Christmas surprise and I was determined to tell them in a better thought-out way than we had told my family. :)






No comments: