Saturday, February 19, 2011

HAPPY STEVENSON DAY!

I wrote a status on my facebook page about creating my own holiday to look forward to in January and my sister jokingly commented that I should celebrate Stevenson Day and visit her. I chuckled, because little did she know, Stevenson Day was already in the making.

Brett and I had set a strict budget for Christmas this year so when he surprised me with tickets to visit my sister in Illinois I thought he was BUSTED! He quickly explained that by using airline miles he had only spent 30 dollars and stayed within the budget. Sly little Brett and boy do I love him for it! I couldn't have asked for a better gift!

My sister is the ultimate trickster in the family. Often showing up unexpectedly for a surprise visits so we figured it was time to get her back. While we were at it, we thought it'd be fun to surprise my mom as well. You see, my parents and little brother were planning to go out to visit my sister in Illionois already. Brett talked with my dad and figured out a way that I could connect with them in Salt Lake city so that we could fly to Illinois together. Plans were made, but my mom had no idea.

I flew from Anchorage to SLC and waited anxiously for my family to come to the gate. When I saw them entering the jet-way I yelled "Mom, mom, hey mom!" -- she didn't turn around so I finally said, "Deb mom!" She turned around and her jaw dropped to the floor, "What are you doing here?" She said she thought maybe her mind was playing a trick on her because she knew it was my voice, but was certain I couldn't be there.

We flew to Illinois together and when we pulled up to my sister's house my parents and brother went inside. After a few minutes, or second probably (I was so excited I couldn't wait!) I went up to the door and knocked. When my sister saw me she just stared and then said, "You've got to be kidding me!" It was the best!


Uncle Ben is getting so mature and handsome!

My dad went to graduate school at the University of Illinois so we went to Champaign-Urbana to visit a few of their favorite places. Our first stop was a delicious bakery where my mom got a dozen of almond croissants she has been craving for years! Our next stop was Papa Del's Pizza. OH MY GOODNESS! This pizza was delicious and HUGE! Mmm, I would eat some right now!


Luka -- this kid is a crack-up...and maybe part asian!

Let's celebrate Stevenson Day every year!

3 comments:

Tiff and Chris said...

That would be so hard not to tell them you were coming! Kudos to you for not spilling the beans. Looks like y'all had a great time!

Ken and Jan said...

This is Ken.. First, that pizza looks delicious. Please send me some in the mail. Second, if I don't see more pictures of Alaska, I will use my web skills to destroy your blog!

Richard and Carlie said...

HOW FUN!! I love surprises! We are actually flying out to Utah next week to surprise my little brother when he gets home from the mish! YAY!