Monday, June 22, 2009

Solstice

Each year in Fairbanks, near or on June 21st, there is a big celebration of the summer solstice. Last night was the 10K run...no we did not run it! Anyone who is good friends with me knows running that much might end my life! Instead, we biked the trail to join in on the fun. It was raining so when we got home we were cold and drenched! Afterward we hung out with our friends Sarah and Travis. We didn't get home until nearly 4am and it was still so BRIGHT outside. That is one of my favorite things about Alaska - the constant light during the summer! Unfortunately I didn't have my camera last night. I'm still kicking myself for that.

Today though, the celebration continued with a festival. We went and walked around with Brett's dad, Don, and his friend, Sylvia. We listened to a live band, watched a little dance performance and checked out the booths.




Today was not only the summer solstice and Father's Day, but also Don's birthday - so it was quite an exciting day!! :) We went to his house and had a little cake to celebrate! Happy Birthday, Don!





4 comments:

Angel said...

That would be so weird to have it stay light outside for so long but I think I would LOVE it! I love summer and how it doesn't get dark until 10. After seeing all your pictures I've decided I really need to take a trip to Alaska some day!! :)

Richard and Carlie said...

I love seeing all your fun Alaska pics! It is beautiful there!!

Stevenson Family said...

You need to post pictures of every hour from like 10pm-3am or something awesome like that. It's still so hard to comprehend no darkness. We wish we could come visit!!

Stevenson Family said...

I swear you two are looking more alike. That happens to married couples.