Monday, December 5, 2011

GIVE THANKS

What a beautiful holiday. I think I have mentioned before that Thanksgiving is my Dad's favorite holiday. I never understood as a kid. I do now.

Well, as you may have noticed before, my family just LOVES surprises, especially if it means we get to spend time together! The oldest sibling in our family, Brooke, lives in Illinois with her 4 little kiddos - ages 5 and under. Her husband is in his urology residency and is, as you might imagine, a very busy man! He found out he was on call for Thanksgiving and Brooke was a bit bummed. This is where brother John stepped in - with Brad's blessing, John was bound and determined to get Brooke and the kids home for Thanksgiving. Well, it worked! Brooke called early Friday the 18th and had Tate let me know the exciting news that they were already in Utah and planned to surprise Grandma and Grandpa that day. Brett and I had tickets to fly to Utah the following Monday, but I couldn't wait that long! Brett had a test and paper he needed to focus on so he encouraged me to change my flight so I could spend an extra weekend with the fam. I arrived that evening to a house full of laughter and love!


When I talked to Tate on the phone I told him I thought Grandma would scream and cry when they all walked in. He said, "Yeah, that's what my Mommy thinks too." Grandma never disappoints.

Then Grandpa arrived on the scene - equally excited to see his grandsons.


We can't forget about Uncle Ben. He had a fun surprise waiting when he got home from school. I love the look on his face! Those boys sure love their Uncle Ben.

A few hours later I arrived! So happy to be home!

THEN Uncle Clark!

He livened things up a bit - tossing the boys in the air! What a fun uncle!


Then Luke tried to mess with me! So I had to show him who's boss and give him a tickle torture!

Not long after I had two boys getting tickle torture! (I love Clark interacting with Noah in this sequence of pictures!)



Then Grandpa and Uncle John did a little torturing of their own!

LOVE

We spent a few days at home "grooving'" on each other and then headed to Bear Lake where we have so many fun memories. Since we were young we have visited Bear Lake, first during the Summers with all of our extended family, and then in more recent years during Thanksgiving with our immediate family, Aunt Nanc and our cousins "The Herds". An added bonus this year was having some of our Satterfield cousins there! Uncle Steve is serving as a mission President in Atlanta, Georgia so in the absence of their parents, Bill, Rick, Steph and their families joined us for some fun! I don't think I have seen most of the Satterfield cousins for 8 or more years so it was a treat!

My Grandma Herd instilled a "fierce loyalty" and love for family in all of her children and as a result we feel that same way toward our siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. It's truly a beautiful thing!

A walk by the lake

Brooke :) Sweet little mommy!

The boys enjoying some Creamies after sitting in the hot tub.

Dominoes - a Bear Lake tradition!

We also had a treasure hunt like we did when we were young. I remember always riding on cousin Bill's back or shoulders so I wouldn't fall behind so this year I carried his little girl on my back. I was so pooped by the end. She kept saying, "Go faster!" She was lucky I didn't pass out in the snow! The treasure was hidden in Aunt Nanc's apartment, as always! Aunt Nanc is the best!

Turkey Bowl

Large cheering section, braving the cold!

Jamerz and I - Thanksgiving Day!

Meeting cousin Bill's kids for the first time. They were so friendly and lovable. His little boy, Seth, reminded me so much of my nephew Torsten - so naturally I loved him from the second I met him!

Tate looking pretty pleased with his turkey!

Pepe with his cute moose hat!

Uncle B with Noah

We stayed up until 3am our last night there playing games with the entire family.
It was so much fun.

Brooke summed up the weekend with this, "I've never met a happier, more positive bunch of people. This week with my family has been so refreshing."

I second that. :)

I'll admit I'm a big cry baby, but just looking at these pictures makes me tearful. As best put in the children's song, "The Family Is Of God" -- God gave us families to help us become what He wants us to be. This is how He shares His love, for the family is of God.

No comments: